I’ve gone over it in my head a thousand times:
the field,
the sky,
the exact stretch of horizon where the grass bends toward nothing.
I can picture the moment as if I were watching it through Silas’s eyes.
Harlan appeared out of thin air. Pale, shaking, carrying the smell of sweat, whiskey, violence, and shame.
Most slipped people arrive confused, but he looked hollowed out, scraped thin, as if dragged bodily through the seam. Silas knew instantly what he was. He has always known. It is part of his nature, his curse, his calling, whatever word fits.
And Silas approached him with the same weary determination he has carried for ages. I have described that posture before: the predator’s inevitability, the executioner’s calm. I have written it so many times it should feel familiar.
It didn’t.
He stopped.
Just stopped.
Turned his back on the man he was supposed to remove and walked away.
I cannot explain why he did it. I have tried. I have written margin notes, half-sentences, stray paragraphs that circle the moment like carrion birds, waiting for a scrap of meaning to fall free. But the truth is, I do not understand that choice.
Silas tends to his duties without hesitation. He clears the world of the misplaced. That has always been his purpose, written into him like DNA or inevitability.
And yet he spared Harlan, a stranger, a drunk, a fallen man from somewhere else.
In the weeks that followed, Silas shadowed him through fever and trembling and delirium.
A skeleton of a rabbit prepared with more precision than Harlan could have managed in his state.
A blanket, covering the freezing man after he passed out convulsing.
A fire tended throughout the night, kept just warm enough.
This was not compassion. Silas does not do compassion.
This was preparation.
A strange, reluctant midwifery.
A man keeping another alive for reasons I could not decipher.
Harlan believed it was providence. He thought the world had chosen him. He fell from his life into nowhere, and the world was keeping him alive.
I know better.
The world did not choose Harlan.
Silas did.
And I cannot pretend to know why that choice happened.
This was not Harlan’s story. Harlan was a footnote in a page of exposition, so poorly written it would have been deleted.
Sometimes I feel less like I am writing these people and more like I am watching them through a window, trying to make sense of movements that do not belong to me. I put words on the page, but their decisions arrive from some angle I cannot chart. They do what they do, and I follow behind, recording their logic after the fact.
Silas letting Harlan live.
That was not my idea.
It was his.
No comments:
Post a Comment