Sunday, November 9, 2025

The locked door

 The old building was dry wood and brick. The sky was black above me and the nighttime air was thick and wet.

Cicadas begged for a mate.

 I thought then floor might give out as I walked to the swinging dual doors.

She was bussing a table when I walked in and i recognized her instantly.

Cassandra.

I could feel a tear form in the corner of my eye but it did not fall. She nodded to me, a simple, “hello” perhaps. I’m not sure. Something about it felt, off. Like she was acknowledging something. 


The room was mostly dark except for a stairwell so well lit next to the bar it almost flowed. 

I walked towards it, I wanted to run, but my feet were heavy and the wood of the saloon floor I might have thought was sand if my sneakers, out of place in alt-world werent making scuffing sounds as i paced across it.

The plodding paino and its happy tune rang loud through the building. The steam fans whirled and sans Cassandra, nobody else seemed to care I was there.

A man kissed a women in the corner, she slapped his hand away from her thigh.

A grouped played poker.

A fat man sat at the bar counting coins. He stopped and looked at me, then laughed chewing a cigar, but made no attempt to speak to me. He only bellowed. Not at a joke, or a scene, but at ME. 

I climbed the stairs. 

At the top the smell of stale beer and smoke was even more overwhelming than it had been down stairs. The stairwell conceded to a long hallway lined with drown doors on either side, but one, dead center of the hall, on the left, was a bright, glowing blue.

My feet now moved of their own accord. Where I was sinking in side before, I was now gliding down the hall fast as i could.

I reached for the knob and tried it. Locked.

I began at shake it first, then harder, violently. I wanted to scream, “MELA! I’m here to save you!” But nothing came out. The words echoed in my head, a drum pounding.

Then a hand fell to my shoulder.

Its jet black skin was soft and careful, but heavy. 

Words slipped into my ear with a single breath, “you’re not supposed to be here, Dear Friend. We both know you’re not in control.”

The hand pulled hard down, I braced to impact the floor only to find myself falling into a chair. Sunlight started me and assaulted my eyes.

A man slammed down a piece of paper. I was so jarred I didn’t catch everything…something about Elara?

With a flash of violence, as sudden as I found myself there, a dusty, time worn man started and finished the confrontation. 

He walked past me without a glance, and so it all began. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sil

  They were cold and exhausted and hungry, but for tonight at least, they were in a house.  For 3 days they’d been trying to get back to t...